University of Cárdenas

From The World of Iceria
Jump to navigation Jump to search
University of Cárdenas
Universidad de Cárdenas
Established 1688 AN
Affiliation Federal University Council
Endowment 2.5 billion
Budget 1.5 billion
Academic staff
2,600
Students 25,000
Undergraduates 22,000
Postgraduates 3,000
Location , ,
Colors          
The Central Hall, the main administrative complex and graduation hall of the University of Cárdenas.

The University of Cárdenas is a major coeducational research university offering degree programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate level. The annual enrolment at the University of Cárdenas is 12,000 and is one of the largest campus populations in the country, being one of the leading universities in the country. The University of Cárdenas is a private-public owned university, founded by the Department of Education in 1688 AN, but since then partially privatized under the Cárdenas University Council under the management of Lord Macroft. The University property is a district the size of 28 km2, a recognised District of the city of Cárdenas.

History

Founding

During the finalization of the Cárdenas Plan in 1686 AN, the western side of the city was chosen to become the new campus for a national university that would act as a focal point for university education in Nouvelle Alexandrie. A property of 28 km2 was chosen to build multiple buildings for dining halls and faculties. The area was cleared of any remaining building soon thereafter.

The Central Hall was built over the course of two years to become the main building for the university. It houses the first few faculties, which were focused on history and education. Two residence buildings arose only two months later to house the growing students population. The University Lake in the centre of the campus was completed next, along with the rest of the University Park. The first class came in 1688 AN with a total of 150 students, 100 male, 50 female. Most of them applied for Geography, History, and Educational Science. This first class graduated in 1692 AN, by which time enrolment had grown to 800.

Curriculum Expansion

The growth of the University led to the creation of new faculties. The Central Hall began outgrowing the capacity of these faculties: many specialized buildings therefore arose. The University Tram opened in 1692 AN to connect the campus together. New Metro stations opened between 1696 AN and 1702 AN. The University Hospital was opened in 1698 AN to both act as a research hospital for the university and as a regional hospital for all of Santander. At the same time, the University Train Station at the west side of the University opened to connect it to the regional network of railways.

Campus

The campus of Cárdenas University consists of a total of 85 buildings, with about 25 residence halls and 40 are campus classrooms/departments from which courses are taught, and the remaining 20 are auxiliary or office space used to support the campus specifically campus growth. The campus consists of pedestrian streets and cultural venues, as well as as a 15 km (9 mi) of extensive gardens around the University Lake, that is for the exclusive recreation and use of University students, faculty and staff.

Central Hall

The Campus Central Hall is the focal point on the campus, inside which are multiple Dining Halls, administrative buildings, and The Graduation Hall. The building is known for its long stone façade and many windows. The central doorway gives way to the Entry Hall, which is a long rectangular hall with a large seal on the floor of the University logo. The Central hall also includes several faculties: in particular, the Faculty of Geography and History, the Faculty of Geological Science, and the Faculty of Education - Teaching and Learning Center. These faculties also include classrooms and practice areas.

Main Dining Hall

The Main Dining Hall is the epicentre of the Central Hall, having space for about 2,000 people. Marble columns on the corners of the hall depict traditional and historical events in the Nouvelle Alexandrie. Many students eat their meals here before proceeding to their faculties, however the place is also known as a meeting space between students. It is also used for the Study Year Opening and Closing ceremonies at the start and end of each year. The dining hall is however only accessible for undergraduate students.

File:King's Dining Hall.jpg
King's Dining Hall.

King's Dining Hall

The smaller King's Dining Hal is limited specifically to Graduate and Postgraduate Students, and it has their own ceremonies during the year. It has place for about 500 people. Most graduate and postgraduate students eat their meals here. It is also used for the University staff, including faculty and administration, to dine in. For this reason, it is guarded by security staff, and students may not disturb staff during dining. The room is lined with stained glass of religious and historical icons. It also has extensive wooden panels with University dignitaries.

Graduation Hall

In the Graduation Hall, the annual graduation ceremony is held with great attendance from Alumni. During the ceremony, graduates pass through the podium receiving their diploma in traditional garments, with a Valedictorian address from the highest-ranking student and the address by the University Director before that. During the rest of the year, the Hall is used for Guest Lectures, for which the University invites scientists, politicians, and businessmen from across Micras.

File:University of Cardenas Library.jpg
The Library of the University, view on the Central Review Area.

Library

The 'Pedro' University Library serves as a major research library for the University, and also has one of the largest collections of works in Keltia. The building was originally built in 1686 AN to serve the students with their research needs. In 1704 AN, renown businessmen Alfredo Pedro invested a large sum into expanding the Library, and subsequently got his name attached to it. The building stands at more than 4,000 m2 and 15 m high, with seven floors of bookshelves and desks. The library is known for its high bookshelves surrounding a large central area where students can work and review. The building consists largely of a stone frame, with marble columns used in several parts. A large skylight at the ceiling brings in lots of natural light, but due to the nature of the building, it has many lighting fixtures as well. On the wall are paintings of alumni and other university notables.

Science Faculty Building

The Science Faculties Building houses most of the faculties involved in scientific education. These include the world renowned Faculty of Life Science, the Faculty of Physical Science, and the Faculty of Engineering. The building has its own dining hall, and beyond that has 18 classrooms and 44 labs of variable configuration. The building has modern features: it is mostly weaponised concrete and glass. This was also done to improve the security of the labs inside.

Letters Faculty Building

The Letters Faculty Building houses the faculties concerned with literature and media, but also with arts. These include the Faculty of Language Studies, the Faculty of Media and Communication, the Faculty of Fine Arts, and the Faculty of Library Science. It has 28 classrooms, and 8 labs and workshops of variable configuration. The building has its own library, however many of its facilities were handed over to the nearby University Library in 1700 AN. The building is also known for its two Art Galleries showing works of students and alumni, and the University Museum with its temporary exhibitions. The building has a large marble façade, and its walls are adorned with notable writers from across the world.

Politics Faculty Building

The Politics Faculty Building houses the faculties concerned with law, politics, and philosophy. These include the Faculty of Political and Social Studies, the Faculty of Law, and the Faculty of Philosophy. The building has the most classrooms, at 34, and is also known for its two Debate Halls, where students and alumni meet often to work on their rhetoric skills, as well as its 'Mock Cortes' organisation. The building itself was made in a resemblance of the Cortes itself: it has a large column façade, while the debate rooms are known collegiately as the 'House of Deputies' and 'House of Peers', respectively.

Anthropology Faculty Building

The Anthropology Faculty houses many of the social science faculties. These include the Faculty of Anthropology and Archaeology, the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, the Faculty of Social Work, and the Faculty of Commerce and Tourism. It houses 26 classrooms, and is also known for its 'Mock Hotel' organization and the University Archaeological Museum and Research Center. The building is somewhat more modern than it's neighbour the Politics Faculty Building, with a large stone façade reminiscent of the Central Hall.

Health Science Faculty Building

The Health Science Faculty stands next to the University Hospital, and is connected to it as a research hospital network. Inside are the Faculty of Pharmacy, the Faculty of Nursing, Physiotherapy and Podiatry, the Faculty of Dentistry, and the Faculty of Psychology. It houses 18 classrooms, as well as 28 labs of variable configuration. It has its own library, focused on health science literature, and is also known for its University Healthcare Museum and Research Center.

Campus Mixed Sports Area

The University hosts a variety of sports clubs, such as the Basketball team known as the University Hawks. The Mixed Sports Area stands to the south of the campus, and aside from the Hawks Indoors Sports Arena, also hosts the Mirage Swimming Arena and the Canvas Baseball Stadium. The area stands as miniature compared to the Ciudad de los Deportes sports complex, however it is a vital complex that trains the next generation of sports professionals.

Administration

The following is a list of prior University Directors that have formed the administration of Cárdenas University

Structure

  • Office of the University Director
    • Cárdenas University Council
      • Central Hall Faculty Council
        • Faculty of History and Geography
          • Office of National History
          • Office of World History
          • Office of Ancient and Classical History
          • Office of Geography
          • Office of Cartography
        • Faculty of Geological Science
          • Office of Atmospheric Science
          • Office of Geophysics
          • Office of Oceanography
          • Office of Geochemistry
        • Faculty of Education - Teaching and Learning Center
          • Office of Educational Science
          • Office of Pedagogy
      • Department of Science
        • Faculty of Life Science
          • Office of Biology
            • Microbiology Section
            • Genetics Section
            • Biotechnology Section
          • Office of Chemistry
            • Organic Chemistry Section
            • Chemical Technology Section
        • Faculty of Physical Science
          • Office of Astronomy
            • Astrophysics Section
            • Cosmology Section
          • Office of Physics
            • Applied Physics Section
            • Atomic, Molecular and Optics Section
            • Nuclear and Particle Physics Section
            • Condensed Natter Physics
        • Faculty of Engineering
          • Office of Chemical Engineering
          • Office of Civil Engineering
          • Office of Aerospace Engineering
          • Office of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering
        • Faculty of Computer Sciences
          • Office of Computer Programming
          • Office of Computer Engineering
          • Office of Game Design and Theory
      • Department of Letters
        • Faculty of Language Studies
          • Office of Keltian Languages
          • Office of Cibolan Languages
          • Office of Benacian Languages
          • Office of Euran Languages
          • Office of Corum Languages
          • Office of Tapfer Languages
          • Office of Apollonian Languages
        • Faculty of Media and Communication
          • Office of Journalism
          • Office of Communication Management
          • Office of Digital Media
        • Faculty of Fine Arts
          • Office of Painting and Drawing
          • Office of Sculpting
          • Office of Architecture
          • Office of Photography
        • Faculty of Library Science
          • Office of Literature
          • Office of Archival Science
          • Office of Preservation
      • Department of Politics
        • Faculty of Political and Social Studies
          • Office of Political Sciences
          • Office of Social Sciences
          • Debate School
        • Faculty of Law
          • Office of Civil Law
          • Office of Criminal Law
          • Office of Financial and Tax Law
        • Faculty of Philosophy
          • Office of Ethics
          • Office of Logic
          • Office of Epistemology
          • Office of Metaphysics
          • Office of Aestetics
      • Department of Anthropology
        • Faculty of Anthropology and Archaeology
          • Office of Anthropology
          • Office of Archaeology
        • Faculty of Economics and Business Administration
          • Office of Economics
          • Office of Business Administration
          • Office of Public Administration
          • Office of Finances
        • Faculty of Social Work
        • Faculty of Commerce and Tourism
          • Office of Commerce
          • Hotel School
          • Office of Hospitality
      • Department of Health Science
        • Faculty of Pharmacy
        • Faculty of Nursing, Physiotherapy and Podiatry
          • Office of Nursing
          • Office of Physiology
          • Office of Epidemiology and Virology
          • Office of Pediatrics
          • Office of Podiatry
        • Faculty of Dentistry
        • Faculty of Psychology
      • Chartered and autonomous bodies
        • University Sports Combined Council
        • Bemar Institute, Bemar
        • Siena College

Security